- An O2 saturation test is only required if it may change management. However, be aware that a normal respiratory rate may be falsely reassuring as there are increasing numbers of anecdotal reports of patients without dyspnea who on testing are severely hypoxic.
- The Roth score should NOT be used. It has resulted in false reassurance and critical events.
- An O2 sats could be obtained through delivery models which minimise face to face exposure:
- Pulse oximeters delivered to a patient for ongoing monitoring.
- ‘Drive through’ pulse oximetry.
- ‘Home visiting’ pulse oximetry.
Please click here for our guide to using pulse oximeters during the Covid-19 pandemic which includes a patient action plan for oxygen saturation monitoring template letter.